Archives and Special Collections in the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library is pleased to announce that the personal papers of Fredi Kronenberg are now available for research.
Archive for College of Physicians and Surgeons
“This College will decline to receive ‘colored’ applicants for matriculation”: VP&S and the Question of Black Students in the Late 19th Century
The nation’s ongoing struggle to confront racism in all aspects of American life has turned its attention to the deep historical roots of this issue.
One of the early graduates of the Columbia College Faculty of Medicine (now the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons), Alexander Anderson (MD, 1796), is renowned for being both a genuine medical hero and a significant American illustrator.
Samuel Waldron Lambert, the 12th head of Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, was born in New York City in 1859, one of the eight surviving children of Edward W. Lambert, MD (VP&S 1857) and his wife Martha M. Waldron.
“Medical Expenses – New York. Garrit Terhune” written in an elegant, highly legible script is the heading on one student’s meticulous accounting of the cost of his medical education almost 200 years ago.
The College of Physicians & Surgeons (now the Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons) moved uptown in 1837 to Crosby St. after having been located on Barclay St. near City Hall for almost a quarter century. Along with its anatomical museum and chemical apparatus, the medical school also brought its library with it to its new home. Perhaps motivated by the new surroundings, recent P&S graduate Nelson Shook, Class of 1835, agreed to undertake – for free – an inventory and reshelving of the library’s contents.
The story of American women’s efforts to become physicians is well-known and has been often told: Elizabeth Blackwell’s graduation from the Geneva Medical College in 1849 -- the first woman to receive a medical degree; the founding of the first women’s medical college, the New England Female Medical College in 1848; the opening of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as a coeducational institution in 1893, and so on.
It's not often that an archives uncovers a previously unknown letter from a Signer of the Constitution, but that's what happened recently here at Archives & Special Collections.
To commemorate U.S. Army Base Hospital No. 2. during this centennial of the end of World War I, a new exhibit tells the unit’s story through original letters, documents, and photographs held by the Health Sciences Library’s Archives & Special Collections.
On December 29, 1887, opening ceremonies were held for New York City's newest medical wonder, the Sloane Maternity Hospital. Established with a generous gift from William and Emily Thorn Vanderbilt Sloane, the building cost slightly over $156,000 to build and equip. The couple were emulating an earlier gift by Emily's father, William Henry Vanderbilt, who in 1885 had given to the College of Physicians & Surgeons (P&S) $300,000 and most of the block lying between 59th & 60th Streets, Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues, on which to build a new home. At the time, it was the largest